Bloomfield Land and Building Company Ltd
The Bloomfield Land and Building Company was established by the Boyd family, who also founded the Ulster Marine Insurance Company Ltd, and was incorporated in Belfast on May 18 1874.
The Boyd Family established a business leasing and selling land and property in the Bloomfield area and the company was established to secure building leases for land in the townlands of Ballyhackamore and Ballycloughan in County Down.
In 1947, the company was acquired by the Yorkshire Insurance Company Ltd. On April 1 1983, the company's assets and liabilities were transferred to the Yorkshire-General Insurance Company Ltd and, in 1986, the company was dissolved
|1874||The company is established and incorporated|
|1947||The company is acquired by the Yorkshire Insurance Company|
|1983||Assets and liabilities are transferred to the Yorkshire-General Insurance Company|
|1986||The company is dissolved|
Head office premises
|by 1877 - 1884||32 Donegal Quay, Belfast|
|1884 - 1898 at least||28 Waring Street, Belfast|
|by 1900 - 1928||Bank of Ireland Chambers, Queen's Bridge, Belfast|
|1928 - 1972 at least||1 Linenhall Street, Belfast|
|by 1974 - 1977||5 Donegall Square South, Belfast|
|1977 - 1986||2 Rougier Street, York|
Staff and officials
|1874 - 1947||Sinclair & Boyd|
|by 1947 - 1958||Thomas McKillen|
|1958 - 1977||John M Bailie|
|1977 - 1986||A Cade|
- Henry Boyd
- William Sinclair Boyd
In the archives
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of the Bloomfield Land and Building Company between 1874 and 1986. The collection includes minutes books, memoranda and articles of association, finance papers and annual report and accounts.