Celtic Insurance Company Ltd
Incorporated on May 9 1907, the Celtic Insurance Company was established for
"granting in the United Kingdom or abroad of policies, tickets, or other instruments of insurance, assurance, guarantee and indemnification of any kind (excepting life)".
On October 19 1911, all the company's shares were acquired by the Counties and General Insurance Company Ltd, which was subsequently acquired on June 24 1912 by the Yorkshire Insurance Company Ltd.
By the time of the acquisition, the company was offering plate glass, fire and burglary insurance. However, when the amalgamation was finally concluded in 1913 all but the plate glass business had been liquidated.
The business was fully absorbed into the Yorkshire in 1961, at which point the company was dissolved. The Yorkshire was acquired by the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd in 1967.
|1907||The company is established|
|1911||All company shares are acquired by the Counties and General Insurance Company|
|1912||Counties and General is acquired by the Yorkshire Insurance Company|
|1961||The Yorkshire fully absorbs all the company's insurance business|
|1967||The Yorkshire is acquired by the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation|
Subsidiaries and constituents*
|1901 - 1919||Irish Vehicle Owners' Accident Company Ltd (transferred from the Yorkshire)|
|1875 - 1919||Hibernian Plate Glass Insurance Company Ltd (transferred from the Yorkshire)|
* Please note the first date given is the date of the establishment of the company and the second date is the date the company was acquired or became a subsidiary. Where only one date is given the company was established as a subsidiary of the parent company. Where one date is preceded by a hyphen the date of the establishment of the company is not known.
Head office premises
|- 1912||63 Dawson Street, Dublin|
|1912||68 Dame Street, Dublin|
|1912 - 1961||3 College Green, Dublin|
Staff and officials
|1913||G H Matthews|
|1919 - 1924 at least||George W Blackham|
|by 1953 - 1961||F E Heron|
|- 1912||Sydney B Massey|
|1912 - 1924 at least||Leopold H Hallowes|
- Frank Winser
- Herbert E Winser
- T H Buchanan
- S B Massy
Branches and agencies
By 1912, the company had 23 agents working all over Dublin and Belfast, as well as agents in Bristol.
In the archives
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of the Celtic Insurance Company between 1910 and 1924. The collection contains correspondence and acquisition papers.