Grampian Properties Ltd
Grampian Properties was incorporated on 22 January 1959 as a subsidiary of Grampian Holdings Ltd. On 16 March 1960, the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd acquired 45% of its equity, with the remaining shares acquired by 1966. In 1968, the company developed General Accident's new West Nile Street premises in Glasgow.
Mingary Castle on the Ardnamurchan Estate, 1979
In 1971, having finished work on General Accident's new Glasgow premises, Grampian's principal activity was investment in land and property. In December 1973, the company purchased Glenogil Moor followed, a year later, by the Ardnamurchan Estate. In 1975, the company purchased the Blairford Estate (Blair Drummond and Blackford Farms) and the Redgorton river stretch.
In the following years, the company reversed its purchasing policy and by the late 1980s the only property it owned was on Mill Street, Perth, and at Ardnamarchan, which was sold off between 1991 and 1992. By 1994 the company was not trading and, in December 2002, it sold its subsidiary, the Property Estates & Reversion Company Ltd, to Undershaft Ltd, its own holding company and fellow Aviva subsidiary.
The company was dissolved on 7 September 2004.
|1959||The company is established|
|1960||The General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation acquires 45% of the company's equity|
|1966||General Accident purchases the company's remaining shares|
|1968||Work begins on General Accident's new Glasgow premises|
|1994||The company is not trading|
|2002||The Property Estates & Reversion Company, a subsidiary, is sold to Undershaft|
|2004||The company is dissolved|
Subsidiaries and constituents*
|1959 - 1978||Property Estates & Reversion Company Ltd (transferred from Lancashire and Yorkshire Reversionary Interest Company Ltd)|
* Please note the first date given is the date of the establishment of the company and the second date is the date the company was acquired or became a subsidiary. Where only one date is given the company was established as a subsidiary of the parent company. Where one date is preceded by a hyphen the date of the establishment of the company is not known.
Head office premises
|1959 - 1960||124 St. Vincent Street|
|1960 - 1975||78 St. Vincent Street|
|1975 - 1988 at least||14 St. Vincent Place|
|by 1990 -||100, West Nile Street|
|1959 - 1967||116 Old Broad Street, London, E.C.2|
|1967 -||General Buildings, 99 Aldwych|
Staff and officials
|1960 - 1983 at least||George Bell (managing director from 1963)|
|1959||J H M Mackenzie|
|1959 - 1964||A C Shearer|
|1964 - 1966||J C Allison|
|1966 - 1968||William Hancock Hartley|
|1968 - 1971||Anthony John Marston|
|1971 - 1973||Robert Alexander|
|1973 - 1990 at least||William Logan Carrick|
|by 1991 - 1992 at least||D J McPherson|
- Sir James R H Hutchison
- J H M Mackenzie
- Neil B Morris
In the archive
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of Grampian Properties between 1959 and 1997. The collection includes board and general minutes, share registers and annual reports and accounts.