Aviva Group companies first appeared in what was then the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1853.
In March, the Northern Assurance Company, later part of the Commercial Union Assurance Company, appoints Franz Schomburgh agent for Vienna and the Austro-Hungarian Empire, including the area which will become the Czech Republic.
On November 19, the board of the North British & Mercantile Insurance Company, later part of Commercial Union, sends its superintendent to Vienna to make the necessary arrangements for commencing direct business in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
In April, North British & Mercantile opens an agency in Prague, under the management of Carl Wahle.
Commercial Union appoints Gustav Ullmann manager for the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Commercial Union acquires the majority holding of Anglo Elementar through which it opens a branch office in Prague.
General Accident Fire & Life Assurance Corporation begins operating in Prague.
Following the occupation of Austria, Commercial Union’s holdings in Anglo Elementar are sold to Colonia of Cologne. Operations in Prague come to an end.
On March 20, Commercial Union forms Commercial Union Aviva zivotni pojistovna (AZP) in the Czech Republic.
Commercial Union Aviva zivotni pojistovna (AZP) is rebranded and relaunched as Aviva zivotni pojistovna (AZP).
In January Aviva announces the sale of Aviva Czech Life to MetLife Inc.