General Accident Pensions Management Ltd
General Accident Pensions Management was incorporated on May 26 1919 as the Automobile and Aircraft Insurance Company Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd. The company underwent a number of name changes before being dissolved in 2000.
General Accident Pensions was established to transact life, fire, accident, employers' liability and bond investment insurance, as well as
"to grant assurances against damage caused to carriages, wagons, carts, cars, motor cars, cycles, motor cycles or any description of vehicle hauled or propelled by horse or other animal power, or by steam, electricity or any other form of power or energy, and to indemnify owners thereof against claims upon them by third parties for injury or damage caused thereby".
Motor Traders Guarantee proposal booklet, 1937
On October 17 1919, the company changed its name to the Automobile Aircraft and Engineering Insurance Company Ltd and again, on May 11 1925, to the Motor Traders Guarantee Corporation Ltd. By 1937, it was primarily operating as a hire purchase company and, by 1968, was described as a finance company. The company's first managed fund contract was effected on April 1 1974.
In 1973, the company's memoranda and articles of association were changed to allow it to transact life business and its ownership was transferred to the English Insurance Company Ltd. On May 22 of the same year, the company changed its name once more to the English Insurance (Pensions Management) Company Ltd. Finally, on January 11 1989, the company became known as General Accident Pensions Management Ltd. It was dissolved just over a decade later on November 7 2000.
|1919||The company is established|
|1919||Name changes to Automobile Aircraft and Engineering Insurance Company|
|1925||Name changes to the Motor Traders Guarantee Corporation|
|1973||Name changes to the English Insurance (Pensions Management) Company|
|1974||The company effects its first managed fund contract|
|1989||Name changes to General Accident Pensions Management|
|2000||The company is dissolved|
Head office premises
|1919 - 1972 at least||20 Tay Street, Perth|
|by 1920 - 1969||General Buildings, 99 Aldwych|
|1969 - 1972 at least||Beckett House, 36-37 Old Jewry|
Staff and officials
|1919 - 1949||Hugh Cameron Mathieson|
|1949 - 1964||A MacDonald|
|1964 - 1967||Donald Ross|
|1967 - 1973||W H Hartley|
|1973 at least||J M Broatch|
|by 1925 - 1927||Alfred Bennett|
|No manager listed after 1927|
- Edward Patrick Morris
- Colonel Sidney Wishart
- Sir John William Taverner
- Percival Frederick Brittain
- John Richard Yates
- F Norie-Miller
In the archives
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of General Accident Pensions Management between 1919 and 2000. The collection includes board and general minutes, journals, ledgers, annual reports and accounts, registers of members, memoranda and articles of association.