Hastings & St Leonards & District Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Company Ltd
The Hastings & St Leonards & District Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Company was established on March 18 1895. In May 1908, the company was acquired by the Yorkshire Insurance Company Ltd, which was amalgamated with the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd in 1967.
Established in 1845, the company advertised its objectives as
"the insurance of its members and other persons and companies from the loss caused by damage to plate and other glass fixed to or being in or upon any building belonging to or in the occupation of the insurer".
Hastings & St Leonards & District Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Company policy header (after acquisition), 1911
The company was liquidated in 1910, two years after being acquired by the Yorkshire, who had bought the company with the intention of closing it down once its own staff had become accustomed to transacting plate glass business.
|1895||The company is established|
|1908||The company is acquired by the Yorkshire Insurance Company|
|1910||The company is liquidated|
|1967||The Yorkshire is amalgamated with the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation|
Head office premises
|by 1896 - pre 1908||26 Havelock Road, Hastings|
|by 1908 - 1910||33 Havelock Road, Hastings|
|1896 - 1910||Louis Frederick St John|
- F Shoesmith
- G E Avery
- S Pierce
- C Dyke
- H Mann
- FG Tyrrell
In the archives
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of the Hastings & St Leonards & District Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Company between 1896 and 1910. The collection includes acquisition papers, copy memoranda and articles of association.