Hercules Fire Insurance Company (No. 1)
The first Hercules Fire Insurance Company was established in 1809 and, by 1834, was also known as the Hercules Insurance Company of Scotland. The company was acquired by the Scottish Union Insurance Company in 1849.
By 1828, the company was offering insurance
"against loss or damage by fire on buildings, farming stock, shipping, and all other property".
Hercules proposal, 1835
It was also transacting life and survivorship insurance. In the following years, the company shifted its business focus and by 1846 was listed purely as a fire insurer.
In 1877, Scottish Union merged with the Scottish National Insurance Company to form the Scottish Union and National Insurance Company, which was acquired by the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society Ltd in 1959.
|1809||The company is established|
|1849||The company is acquired by the Scottish Union Insurance Company|
|1877||Scottish Union merges with the Scottish National Insurance Company|
|1959||The Scottish Union and National Insurance Company is acquired by the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society|
Head office premises
|by 1846 - 1849||57 North Bridge Street, Edinburgh|
Staff and officials
|by 1828 at least||Nicol Allan|
|by 1846 -||John Wood|
|by 1846 - 1849||Alex Rattray|
In the archive
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of the Hercules Fire Insurance Company between 1834 and 1849. The collection includes board minutes, policies and correspondence.