Imperial Live Stock and General Insurance Company Ltd
The Imperial Live Stock and General Insurance Company was established in 1878 as the Imperial Livestock Insurance Association Ltd. The company was acquired by the Commercial Union Assurance Company Ltd in 1912 and was dissolved in 1948.
An advertisement dated 1879 clearly states Imperial Live Stock's business:
"horses insured against death from accident or disease; also cattle and live stock".
Imperial Livestock advertisement, 1922
In 1898, the company extended its business to include accident insurance and changed its name to the Imperial Accident, Live Stock and General Insurance Company Ltd.
In 1907, the company changed its name to the Imperial Accident Insurance Company Ltd and once again in 1914 to the Imperial Live Stock Insurance Company Ltd.
Commercial Union acquired the company in 1912 as a means to enter the livestock business and the company began offering fire insurance in 1922. The following year, the company underwent a final name change to the Imperial Live Stock and General Insurance Company Ltd.
|1878||The company is established|
|1898||Name changes to the Imperial Accident, Live Stock and General Insurance Company|
|1907||Name changes to the Imperial Accident Insurance Company|
|1912||The company is acquired by the Commercial Union Assurance Company|
|1914||Name changes to the Imperial Live Stock Insurance Company|
|1923||Name changes to the Imperial Live Stock and General Insurance Company|
Subsidiaries and constituents*
|1874 - 1878||Livestock Insurance Company of Great Britain|
|1891 - 1897||Carriage Insurance Company Ltd|
|- 1919||Manchester & London Underwriters Association of Deansgate Manchester (transferred from Commercial Union Assurance Company Ltd (No.1))|
* Please note the first date given is the date of the establishment of the company and the second date is the date the company was acquired or became a subsidiary. Where only one date is given the company was established as a subsidiary of the parent company. Where one date is preceded by a hyphen the date of the establishment of the company is not known.
Head office premises
|1878 - 1886 at least||446 West Strand, London|
|by 1888 - at least 1890||48 Pall Mall, London|
|1890 - 1912 at least||17 Pall Mall East, London|
|by 1921 - 1929||Imperial House, 27 Cavendish Square, London|
|1929 - 1948||24 Cornhill, London|
Staff and officials
Manager and Secretary
|1878 – 1912 at least||Benjamin S Essex (appointed managing director in 1912)|
|by 1921 – 1929||A W Hewett|
|Position not listed after 1929|
|1929 - 1934||John Dewhirst|
|1934 - 1936||G Monro Kerr|
|1936 - 1948||K Lochead|
Imperial Livestock policy header, 1923
- George Alan Lowndes
- The Hon W F B Massey Mainwaring
- The Hon Henry Noel
- Colonel the Hon W P Talbot
In the archives
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of the Imperial Live Stock and General Insurance Company between 1890 and 1948. The collection includes specimen and completed policies, branded stationery and annual reports and accounts.
Visit the London Metropolitan Archives to access minutes from company meetings.