Newcastle Upon Tyne Fire Office
The Newcastle upon Tyne Fire Office was established on November 13 1783 under a deed of co-partnership to insure buildings, houses and goods from damage by fire.
On January 14 1800, the company extended its business to include life assurance and agreement was reached to extend the partnership for a further 31 years on December 10 1814. Three years later, the company was offering insurance on:
"Houses, and Other Buildings, Goods, Wares, and Merchandise, Farmers' Stock, Ships in Harbour, in Dock, or while building, and Craft, from loss or damage by fire".
Newcastle Fire policy header, 1822
Over the next few decades, the company extended its business further and, by 1846, was transacting fire, life and annuity insurance. In 1859, the company was absorbed by the North British & Mercantile Insurance Company, which became a subsidiary of the Commercial Union Assurance Company Ltd in 1959.
|1783||The company is established|
|1814||The company extends its partnership agreement for a further 31 years|
|1859||The company is absorbed by the North British & Mercantile Insurance Company|
|1959||North British becomes a subsidiary of the Commercial Union Assurance Company|
Did you know...?
- In 1817, the Newcastle introduced the system of lighting by gas to Newcastle. The company ran the service until 1830, when it was sold to the Newcastle upon Tyne Subscription Gas Light Company. A (very poor) reproduction copy exists in the archive of the original notice advertising the service. The notice says that on Saturday nights lights may continue burning until 12, if required, and that the company will keep an assortment of ornamental lamps with suitable burners and will supply them at original cost.
- The partnership also purchased Newcastle Water Works under a deed dated August 23 1856.
Head office premises
|by 1846 - 1855 at least||6 Side Street, Newcastle|
Staff and officials
|by 1846 - 1855 at least||William Woods|
Original 21 partners in 1783
Newcastle Fire proposal, 1817
- Sir Thomas Clavering of Axwell Park, Durham
- Sir Matthew White Ridley of Blagdon, Northumberland
- Charles Brandling of Gosforth House, Northumberland
- William Ord of Fenham, Northumberland
- Ralph William Grey the Younger of Backworth, Northumberland
- Rowland Burdon the Younger of Castle Eden, Durham
- Aubone Surtees Alderman of Newcastle (on behalf of himself and the proprietors of the Exchange Bank of Newcastle)
- Rowland Burdon (on behalf of himself and the Exchange Bank of Newcastle)
- Jonathon Aviery of Newcastle (on behalf of himself and his partner in trade, Edward Mosley)
- John Baker, Alderman of Newcastle (on behalf of himself and the Tyne Bank)
- Joseph Lamb (on behalf of himself and the Tyne Bank)
- John Simpson, Alderman of Newcastle
- John Erasmus Blackett of Newcastle
- William Surtees of Newcastle
- John Clutterbuck of Newcastle
- Alexander Adams of Newcastle
- James Lidell of Newcastle
- Thomas Allen of Newcastle
- John Ward of Newcastle
- Edward Dale of Newcastle
- Robert Lisle of Newcastle.
First committee (equivalent to directors) (1783)
- Charles Brandling
- John Clutterbuck
- John Erasmus Blackett
- Edward Dale
- Jonathan Aviery
- John War
- Alexander Adams
In the archive
The Aviva archive contains records relating to the running of the Newcastle upon Tyne Fire Office between 1783 and 1822. The collection includes policies, proposal and the deed of co-partnership.
The company accounts can be found at Gateshead Central Library.