Provident Clerks' and General Accident
The Provident Clerks' and General Accident Insurance Company was established on April 13 1876 by the Provident Clerks' Mutual Life Assurance Association to offer accident insurance at special rates to its members.
In 1879, an advertisement described the company's business as :
"insurance against accidents of every kind, with or without allowances during partial disablement"
and provided a discount to policy holders with the Provident Clerks' and General Guarantee and the Provident Clerks' Mutual Life Assurance Association. By 1881, the company had extended its business to include employers' liability insurance.
Provident Clerks' advertisement, 1881
On January 4 1907, the company merged with its sister company, the Provident Clerks' and General Guarantee Association Ltd, and went into voluntary liquidation. Following the merger, the Provident Clerks' and General Guarantee Association Ltd was renamed the Provident Clerks' and General Guarantee Company Ltd. In 1917, the new company became a subsidiary of the Northern Assurance Company Ltd, which itself became a subsidiary of the Commercial Union Assurance Company Ltd in 1968.
|1876||The company is established|
|1907||The company merges with its sister company, the Provident Clerks' and General Guarantee Association|
|1907||The company goes into voluntary liquidation|
|1917||The new merged company becomes a subsidiary of the Northern Assurance Company|
|1968||The Northern becomes a subsidiary of the Commercial Union Assurance Company|
Head office premises
|1876 - 1907||61 Colman Street, London|
Staff and officials
|1876 - 1886||William Thomas Linford|
|1886 - 1907||Herbert Burgess Brain|
- Richard Henry Jones
- Richard Price
- Samuel Jepps
- James Lintott
- Sancton Wood
- Henry Rogers
- George Raymond Birt
- Edward Coleman
- James Richard Lloyd
- W E Fry
Home branches and agencies
- Brighton (1876)
- Kidderminster (1885)
- Birmingham (1885)
In the archives
The Aviva archive contains general meeting minutes relating to the Provident Clerks' and General Accident Insurance Company between 1876 and 1907.